Tuesday dinner with My Kugelhopf - Ann Mah | Ann Mah

Tuesday dinner with My Kugelhopf

By Ann | March 25, 2014

salmon and roasted veg 2

Can we talk about fish? Fish intimidates me. My cooking history is riddled with fish mishaps. There was the time I cooked some salmon filets in a hot pan, resulting in a stove spattered with indelible drops of oil and a kitchen that reeked for days. There was the time I stashed a whole dorade at the bottom of the fridge, only to discover it a week later — from the smell. I could go on and on.

And so, when Kerrin Rousset of the blog My Kugelhopf sent me her favorite fast recipe for roasted salmon and winter vegetables, my palms started to sweat. Considering my fish phobia, could I do her dish justice? As it turned out, all I needed was a hot oven and a little confidence.

Kerrin lives in Switzerland, where she makes a living out of all things sweet: she offers tours of chocolate shops (and more) through her  company, Sweet Zürich.  She launched the Salon du Chocolat in Zürich, now in its third year. She writes about sweets on her popular blog, My Kugelhopf. And she lives with her very sweet family: her French husband and their young daughter. Today, I’m delighted to share Kerrin’s quick cooking tips, and a wholesome recipe that will help leave room for dessert.

Kerrin_Rousset 1

zurich 2

market2  market4-2

family2 2

Her favorite fast meal? Salad
My husband and I could literally have salad every night and it would be different each time. Mâche is our favorite lettuce and we’ll build from there: avocado, cherry tomatoes, white beans, corn, radishes… tuna, sardines, smoked turkey or leftover roasted veggies. We love adding fruit — depending on the season, that could be pears, persimmon, peaches, figs (fresh or dried), or just raisins to add sweetness. Sweet mustard, oil and fleur de sel are all i need to dress a salad, but I do love playing with different oils, too — especially walnut and argan.

On dressing up eggs:
I always have eggs in the fridge for a quick omelet (or matzoh brei). Any leftover vegetables in the fridge go right in for a filling frittata. I love adding chick peas and currants too.

On the beauty of a cooking in advance:
Making a big tray of roasted vegetables and/or a large portion of cooked grains early in the week makes lunches and dinners for the next few days so much easier and faster to prepare. Salad, soup, omelet — you’re already halfway done.

On her favorite pantry staples:
Chick peas. White beans. Sardines. Pasta. Mason jars filled with various seeds, grains and dried fruit. Countless jars of jam and honey, too. Not to mention my most important staples of all: dark chocolate and medjool dates.

roasted vegetables

salmon filet

salmon and roasted veg

Roasted salmon with root vegetables and chick peas
By Kerrin Rousset

“Tuesday is market day,” says Kerrin, “Usually by that afternoon I’ll have roasted a big tray of vegetables. Throwing a piece of fish on top, and serving with fresh bread makes for a fast, easy and healthy dinner. Something we do quite often during the week.”

*Note from Ann: Kerrin’s recipe is very flexible and you can use the vegetables in season at your market — I roasted a huge quantity of kabocha squash, parsnips, potatoes, broccoli and garlic. Her method for cooking salmon is foolproof, and I removed my filet from the oven a little early and let it finish cooking while resting. Also, I roasted the salmon over only a small portion of the veg, so the remainder wouldn’t get fishy. Finally, instead of sweet mustard, I smeared my filet with a little Sriracha — it’s the same idea, right?

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Roughly chop (peeled) butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots, parsnips and onion. Toss with a spoon or two of olive oil (depending how much veg you have) and lay out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sea salt.  Roast for 20 minutes. Toss and continue roasting for 20 minutes. The vegetables should be soft and caramelized — if not, continue roasting. Mix in a can of drained chick peas. Spread a spoonful of sweet mustard on top of each salmon filet and sprinkle with a few pinches of sumac. Place filets on top of vegetables and put back in oven for 10 minutes. Turn off oven and watch salmon. Take out as soon as it starts to flake. When serving, top fish with a few drops of olive oil and fleur de sel. Bon appétit !

salmon 3

(All non-salmon photos from Kerrin Rousset.)

Topics: Free of gluten, Tuesday dinner | 13 Comments »

13 Responses to “Tuesday dinner with My Kugelhopf”

1. Meg Says:
    March 25th, 2014 at 11:01 am

Sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

2. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) Says:
    March 25th, 2014 at 11:38 am

Love Kerrin – thanks for a glimpse into her kitchen!

March 25th, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Great recipes, well done Ann for keeping up the Tuesday dinners; I love them.

The best solution to fish? I have embraced our microwave and gladly cook wild salmon fillets three times a week now. A tupperware pot with baking paper in the base; just a grating of fresh ginger first then in with the fillets, a slosh of sherry, slosh of light soy sauce. Small drizzle of oil and on high for three minutes. (Or five with our elderly microwave here in France). Perfectly done every time and NO MESS! I recommend it.

4. Heather in Arles Says:
    March 25th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

This sounds like exactly what I will be making for dinner…tonight! Thank you Ann and Kerrin (I loved the photos of her life too). :)

March 25th, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Delicious recipe and a lovely profile; I too am a bit frightened of fish although I do love salmon as it’s quite low maintenance.

6. Betty Says:
    March 25th, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Love simple no fuss meals especially with salmon which is always in the freezer already cut in individual portions. Getting it out to defrost right now. Thank you & Kerrin. Hugs to Lucy.

7. Kathy Says:
    March 25th, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Perfect Lenten dinner. I’m going to prepare this on Friday. Thanks so much for sharing!

8. Cheryl in STL Says:
    March 25th, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Oh, my! love salmon and that sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

9. Anne Woodyard (@MusicandMarkets) Says:
    March 25th, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Thanks to Ann, Kerrin and Lindy, all three, for interesting recipes for salmon, which I like to serve at least once a week chez nous.

10. Jill Colonna Says:
    March 26th, 2014 at 11:37 am

You know, I’ve never been to Zurich (ssh, I’m embarrassed to say so) and a glimpse into Kerrin’s world is making that wish list grow! Salmon is our family fish favourite so this recipe will make a welcome tasty variation.

March 30th, 2014 at 11:57 pm

This was a fabulous recipe — thank you for sharing it. I must say it helps to have a fresh fish shop just around the corner …

March 31st, 2014 at 6:51 pm

Meg — It’s so simple and delicious! Perfect fast dish.

Mardi — Isn’t Kerrin great? Now, we have to get her to tell us what she does with those dates and dark chocolate…

Lindy — Love this microwave method! But — my big fear — does it make the fish smell linger? P.S. Fresh ginger on fish is totally yum.

Heather — I hope you’ll let us know how it turned out! :) Aren’t Kerrin and her daughter cute on their bike?

Emma — I have renewed salmon-cooking confidence, thanks to Kerrin. Though still a bit of sticker shock after buying the really good wild-caught stuff. Ouch!

March 31st, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Betty — What a great time-saving tip! I should do that with other food, instead of just freezing it in one big lump, as I am wont to do. Lasagna comes to mind.

Kathy — Yes, it’s great for Lent — or Passover! All the spring religious holidays :)

Cheryl — I enjoyed the leftovers for lunch, cold, paired with a bit of quinoa.

Anne — Salmon is so versatile and healthy. Now that I’ve conquered my fears, I want to cook it more often, too!

Jill — I think you and Kerrin would have a lot to talk about! You know, the Zürich Salon du Chocolat is coming up… perfect reason for a trip… ;)

CK — I agree! The fish from the shop around the corner is superb!