Downton Abbey tea truck - Ann Mah | Ann Mah

Downton Abbey tea truck

By Ann | December 9, 2013

truck

maids

The new season of everyone’s favorite upper crust English soap opera starts airing in the States on January 5. But this week, the Downton Abbey tea truck is cruising the streets of New York,  helping Americans swallow their impatience with free cups of tea and biscuits. This morning, I visited the truck at Union Square, and chatted with waylaid PBS representative, Amy Tam:

On the tea being served:
“It’s an English Rose tea, rose-flavored with raspberry notes – the official tea of Downton Abbey. Made by the Republic of Tea, and available for sale at PBS.org. I would picture Lady Grantham having a sip with her pinky out. Or all the ladies. They have so much tea all the time.”

On the fifty-minute wait for tea:
“There’s been a group of [about 15] people standing here to get free tea since we pulled up at 11am. The tea is brewing — the water is boiling right now. It’s taking longer than we anticipated.”

On the credentials needed to serve tea at the tea truck:
“The maid’s outfits are Downton-inspired, but you don’t have to be a Brit. You just have to be a Downton Abbey lover.”

On the missing photo-op backdrop of Highclere Castle:
“We’re encouraging people to just take photos with the maids and tea truck. Or pose with these signs.”

signs

cup 2  cup 1

Read more about the “Downton Abbey on Masterpiece on PBS tea truck” (as Tam asked me to refer to it) at Variety.

Would you like to sip your own cup of pink, fruity (Lady Violet would be horrified) tea? Find the tea truck this week in New York:

12/10, Tuesday, 11am-7pm, Sixth Ave between 40th & 41st Streets

12/11, Wednesday, 11am-7pm, 50th Street between Sixth & Seventh Avenues

12/12, Thursday, 12pm-8pm, The New York Times TimesCenter, 41st Street between Seventh & Eighth Avenues

12/13, Friday,  11am-7pm, Broadway between 66th & 67th Streets

Topics: New York City | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Downton Abbey tea truck”

1. Gillian Says:
    December 9th, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I am not a big fan of fruit teas – but I LOVE the idea of a Downton Abbey tea truck! I would totally wait in line an hour for that.

2. Bill Facker Says:
    December 9th, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Aloha Ann .. I’m smiling as a memory of Hyacinth Bucket (“Bouquet”, as she was quick to point out the “proper” pronunciation) sat court at one of her many self important events on the wonderful British comedy “Keeping up Appearances”. It’s coffee for me, but God Bless the Brits and their tea! Aloha

3. Tammy Says:
    December 9th, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I saw on their Facebook page the other day that this was going on and I wished to be in New York! I’m glad you got to experience it.

December 10th, 2013 at 3:21 am

Ok Ann, you are officially too funny with the Downton Abbey tea truck. It seems you’ve been doing social media about, like, *all* day.

Was the tea good?

5. Jill C (MadAboutMacarons) Says:
    December 10th, 2013 at 11:53 am

This looks so much fun. Love the photo with the maids in uniform!

December 10th, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Love this! New Yorkers get all the cool stuff.

December 10th, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Gillian — Full disclosure: I got there late and only waited for a few minutes. But the waiting crowd seemed thirsty!

Bill — I love Keeping Up Appearances — and I love tea! Plus, there’s all the cultural kitsch of a soothing cuppa. :)

Tammy — How fun! I’ll have to post a link to their FB page. I wish they were going to Seattle to visit you!

December 10th, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Voie de Vie — I’m sorry to report that the tea was quite horrible — a hibiscus blend. But the experience was fun! And simply MADE for social media :)

Jill C — I was disappointed the maids all had stalwart American accents, though. They needed you as their dialogue coach.

Emma — Ah, but right now you have summer… :)

9. Jérôme Says: