Winter in Paris | Ann Mah

Carte postale: Fifty shades of grey

By Ann | January 11, 2013

notre dame

I love Paris any time of the year, but lately the weather has been gloomy gumdrops: dark, grey, wet, cold — in other words, the perfect conditions for holing up inside and revising a manuscript. That’s where I am for the next few weeks, mes amis, and I apologize in advance for the paucity of blog posts. I’ll try to poke my head out from time to time to say hello. See you on the other side.

PS Very chuffed to be included in the New York Times roundup of The 46 Places to Go in 2013. Check out #44 for my suggestion!

Topics: Carte postale, Paris | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “Carte postale: Fifty shades of grey”

January 11th, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Seriously. That fleeting sunshine this morning was such a tease.!Very much enjoyed the 46 Places to Visit and happy to see your thoughts included :) Stay warm/dry/focused!

2. Anne Says:
    January 11th, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Nice going on the Times piece although personally I found Union Market a bit strange — oysters and white wine two steps from where folks are barely scraping by. Wonder what folks in the ‘hood think of it.

3. Jeanne Says:
    January 12th, 2013 at 5:02 am

I wish you well on your manuscript revising. I know it takes a level of focus and discipline but how romantic to be holed up in the gray of Paris reading, writing and revising.
    If you get too chilled and like tea, I suggest a tiny tea shop we found called Fu De Cha. It is at 29 Quai de l’Horloge 75001. You can sit, relax and enjoy several infusions of hot, delicious, energizing oolong, in a very quiet setting.

4. Edna Says:
    January 12th, 2013 at 11:30 am

I agree and I’ll be doing the same! Just read a NYTimes Opinion piece that says we writers need this kind of weather though – “creativity needs a season of despair. Could Charles Dickens ever have written a word from South Beach?” I’m so far enjoying holing up in my apartment and getting caught up on work!

5. kristen @thekaleproject Says:
    January 12th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

while i hate the grey, it’s a good excuse to move a bit more slowly and hibernate to get things done. good luck & here’s hoping for a bit of sunshine sometime this week maybe?!

January 12th, 2013 at 3:31 pm

When I was a student in Paris in the late 1980s, winter was a revelation — I could not believe humans could exist in such darkness! And I remember it was so damp. In my drafty student digs, being simultaneously warm and dry was a real challenge!

7. Mallika Says:
    January 12th, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I was expecting something a little more risque woman! Good luck with script and awesome on NYT feat.

January 14th, 2013 at 10:40 pm

We here in the Pacific Northwest know all about the gray of winter … and spring, and fall … :)

It *is* great weather in which to hunker down and get the revising done. And once completed, you can treat yourself to Paris right outside your door. :)

January 15th, 2013 at 1:26 am

I don’t mind a bit of grey sometimes .. I think in Paris it might be a bit romantic? We’re horribly spoiled in Australia, it’s constantly sunny and believe it or not, it gets a bit old!

Good luck with your revising and make sure to eat heaps of lovely food and go for a stretch every now and again!

See you soon :)

10. Art & Lemons Says:
    January 16th, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Oh the grey charm of Paris. Good for manuscript revisions and moody reflections. Congrats on the Times piece!

11. Katherine Martinelli Says:
    January 19th, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Paris looks beautiful, even in the rain! Enjoy :-)