Links to browse this Thanksgiving weekend | Ann Mah

Turkey lurkey links to love

By Ann | November 21, 2012

The first time I ever cooked Thanksgiving dinner, I was living in a studio apartment in Manhattan, a small room with one (short) wall dedicated to the kitchen. My furniture consisted of a bed, a futon couch and a coffee table — that’s all that could fit. Still, eight of us (or was it ten?) crowded into the apartment — all 250 square feet of it — perching on the edge of the bed, sitting cross-legged on the floor, to talk and laugh and sweat (it may have been November in New York, but the oven made it hot and stuffy), and eat (and eat and eat). There were friends — notably my dear Scottish pals, who had never before experienced Thanksgiving — and cousins of friends, and friends of friends’ cousins — the strays that a holiday creates. The evening went on long and loud and may have ended with too much whisky at a bar on Avenue B. I still remember it as one of the best Thanksgivings ever.

Wherever you may be, I’m wishing you a wonderful day, chers amis. Among so many other things, I am grateful for YOU, for the time you take to visit my blog, for your funny and heartfelt comments. I wish I could pull a giant turkey wishbone with each one of you. Instead, I wish you a lovely weekend — and if it includes a little relaxing internet surfing, here are some links I love:

–I can’t wait to make these boat place cards tomorrow while the turkey is roasting. And if I’m lucky, maybe I’ll have some little hands to help me!

–This year, I’ve been entrusted to make the Thanksgiving pies. I’ve already made this pumpkin cheesecake, which smelled absolutely heavenly in the oven, all spicy and gingery.

–And I’m super excited to bake this apple and chili pie with a cheddar crust, although instead of wimpy Hatch green chilies, I’m using jalapeño. Spicy, sweet, savory with a punch of heat… wow, just wow.

–Speaking of baking, if you’re making Christmas treats this season, The Misanthropic Hostess has a trove of recipes that are far from cookie cutter (ha ha).

–If you take one minute, 35 seconds to watch this video your day will be better. Promise.

–Finally, the holidays can be the worst, most difficult and isolating time of the year. But thanks to SOS and their daily hotline, Anglophone expats in France always have a sympathetic ear. This Friday, the venerable organization is raising funds with a jazz evening at the British Embassy Residence in Paris (more details here). And, as always, if you need to talk or vent, information on SOS is available here.

As for me, I’ll be back next week with another Tuesday dinner. Until then, may your turkeys be moist, your family gatherings peaceful and your travels safe.

Topics: In the news, Uncategorized | 14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Turkey lurkey links to love”

November 21st, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I always think of my great grandmother, Grandma Rae, at this time of year — she was an old style New Yorker from Rockaway and at thanksgiving she would always say, “C’mon, have some more toikey!”

2. Luisa Says:
    November 21st, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Ann,

I just watched the video. I love it. Happy Thanksgiving.
    And thanks for sharing.

November 21st, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Oh so envious of your thanksgiving in the US! Have a great one :)

4. Heather in Arles Says:
    November 22nd, 2012 at 12:07 am

Thank you for your well wishes, Ann! I am happy as a clam in Michigan–my Mom made quesadillas last night with tomatillo salsa and margaritas! Tonight, REAL sushi and then tomorrow…le grand sigh du bonheur. :) I know you understand…but also that the best thing is just being here!
    Wishing you and yours a fantastic holiday weekend!!!
    Gros bisous,
    H

5. Edna Says:
    November 22nd, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I didn’t use to miss Thanksgiving at home, but after being abroad a few years I’m really feeling homesick today. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving — and please tweet some photos of how the pies turned out, they sound delicious!

November 23rd, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Your memorable thanksgiving story was sort of echoed in Pieces of April, which I caught for the first time yesterday.

I hope this first turkey day back in the states after a long absence was just as memorable.

November 25th, 2012 at 2:06 am

I love the video and TD is in serious envy of your pottery turkey. He’s been asking for one for years. I am grateful for fun and inspiring blogs like yours, dear Ann!

November 26th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Luisa — I’ve watched the video so many times and it makes me smile and tear up every time. I’m glad you enjoyed it and hope your holiday was lovely.

Emma — Thanks, friend! It’s always fun to cook with family — even if our apple pie sadly fell and smashed into smithereens as we rushed to the car on Thanksgiving morning. I just have to make another one!

Heather in Arles — I love the sound of your menu over there! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, surrounded by food, friends and family, the three most important “f”s in the world!

November 26th, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Edna — Just wait until you’re back in the States again for Thanksgiving — you’ll miss those wacky, ad hoc, tumbled together feasts so very, very much. I loved reading about yours on your blog!

Voie de Vie — I’ll have to check out Pieces of April! Our day after Thanksgiving was topped off with Chinese food AND pizza and bagels the next day — New York welcomed us well!

Shannon — I wish that ceramic turkey belonged to me. Alas, I snapped a photo of him in a museum in Alsace. (Actually, with our itinerant lifestyle, it’s probably best that we’re NOT lugging a 75-lb hunk of fine china around the world.) And, I am grateful for YOUR blog — and turkey cobbler post, which inspired me to buy my very own turkey breast, all ready for the oven tonight. Oh, yes, I did.

10. thyme (sarah) Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Thanksgiving for us has been in so many places…usually on our own as a family. I totally relish this holiday. It gives me such a chance to try out (and potentially fail) at so many recipes that might be recruited for the big Xmas. I also like that I can cook for a small group instead of “the masses”! Xmas this year…will be ‘the masses’!!

November 27th, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Thyme (Sarah) — Both your holidays sound fantastic — restful relaxing at Thanksgiving followed by a Christmas bonanza! I look forward to hearing about all the delicious foods you whip up for the masses!

12. Pat Says:
    November 27th, 2012 at 11:18 pm

The very first time I hosted Thanksgiving was while we were living in England. I totally overestimated how much our foreign friends would eat and we ended the evening with about 2 weeks of leftovers! I hope you had a very happy Thanksgiving, Ann, surrounded by family and friends!

November 28th, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I want to make that apple-chili-cheddar pie, too!

14. Abigail Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 2:05 pm

My first Thanksgiving not at home was in Grenoble, France with my now husband in a super tiny studio. The kitchen was a closet (literally) with a dorm fridge, a sink so narrow plates couldn’t be laid flat, no oven, and two rusting electric burners right next to the sink. Despite that, I managed to cook a poulet de bresse, stuffing (rolled into balls!), green beans, pearl onions in cream, cranberry sauce (with a finding cranberries in France adventure), gravy, squash soup, and mashed potatoes. I don’t remember how and I can’t figure it out, but I some how had everything hot at the same time. And it was wonderful. :) Loved this list and reading your story.

Comments