Weddings - Ann Mah | Ann Mah

Weddings

By Ann | July 26, 2011

I’ve been thinking about weddings recently, and not just because of all the recent celebrations in New York, which I’ve loved reading about in the paper. You see, eight years ago today, on a sunny, summer afternoon in Southern California, my husband and I joined together in civil matrimony. Yep, we got ourselves hitched.

It was a beautiful day of laughter, sunshine, California sparkling wine, and family and friends who gathered from the world’s four corners to wish us well. Their love transformed the hotel where we got married from a wedding-industrial complex into someplace magical.

wedding

One my favorite parts about our wedding were the flowing bottles of Mumm Cuvée Napa Valley, which comes from one of the loveliest wineries I’ve ever visited. But if I could do it all over again, I think I’d also propose a special cocktail to mark the occasion. And I have just the one in mind.

chili vodka

It starts with chili vodka, or chili-infused vodka (recipe below), which packs a deep and gentle burn. Mix it with ice, lemonade and club soda, and you have a tart and refreshing drink, with a persistent, pleasant under note of heat. Kind of like marriage itself? Hm, let’s not read too much into this recipe.

in nice

These cocktails, which my husband has named the Calcutter, would be lovely on a summer evening, accompanied by a flip through your wedding photo album.

Chili Vodka
1 700ml bottle of vodka (I used Absolut)
4-5 chilies (depending on their strength)

Slice the peppers lengthwise and pop them in the vodka bottle. Allow to infuse at room temperature for two days, gently agitating the bottle every evening (if you remember). After two days, taste the vodka — it should have a deep, gentle burn. If it’s not adequately spicy, allow to infuse for a few another day or so. If it is hot enough, remove the chilies. The heat index will depend on the strength of your peppers. I used 4-5 green finger chilies, but if using habaneros or jalapeños, proceed with caution.

Calcutter cocktail
Adapted from Miss Masala
2/10 chili-infused vodka
3/10 lemonade
club soda
lemon slices
ice

Pour the vodka and lemonade in a tumbler filled with 3 large lumps of ice. Add club soda to almost the brim and garnish with a slice of lemon.

Topics: Recettes, Uncategorized | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “Weddings”

1. Katia Says:
    July 26th, 2011 at 10:52 am

Happy anniversary! The wedding photo is just adorable!
    And I’m making myself some chilli vodka this summer. It was DELICIOUS.
    I’ve been thinking about this amazing cocktail. I might try a variation with less club soda & fresh lemon juice instead of lemonade – I wonder if that will make it more tart (which I love) and maybe highlight the chilli a little more? I will let you know how it goes!

2. Kristin Says:
    July 26th, 2011 at 11:02 am

Happy anniversary you two sweethearts! What a beautiful and romantic photo! …and a spicy marriage recipe that we promise not to read too much into — will simply enjoy the soulful insight there.

3. Rhino75 Says:
    July 26th, 2011 at 11:02 am

Congratulations!! And yes, I second Katia, LOVE the photo. That delicious cocktail has inspired me to get back on the flavoured vodka trail – got to get that summer heat from somewhere!

4. Anne Says:
    July 26th, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Happy anniversary (and many more). So fun to see your wedding photo. I may have a cocktail myself while I wait to get my wedding album out of storage!

5. Paris Karin (an alien parisienne) Says:
    July 26th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

A very happy anniversary to you and CK, Ann! The cocktail sounds yum, and I like the comparison you made of it to marriage. Sounds like you have a good recipe, there (for drinking and marriage, alike!). Thank you for sharing all the photos, which are terrific. :)

July 26th, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Happy anniversary!!! What a great cocktail recipe for a lovely couple! That top shot of you guys is beautiful!

7. Sweet Freak Says:
    July 26th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Aww… happy anniversary, Ann! Love both photos of you guys – you look happy!

8. Patricia H Says:
    July 26th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Happy Anniversary!

July 26th, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Happy anniversary! And after 8 years, you’re still sharing cocktails together – you go. :)

10. Kim B. Says:
    July 26th, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Eight years, congrats! Love both photos — I always love seeing the first one on CK’s bulletin board at work, and the second one is the perfect update! Here’s to many more happy anniversaries for you two!

11. Marie-Claude Says:
    July 26th, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Happy anniversary, dear Ann and CK, and many, many years of hapiness ahead…I recognize the picture in C’s office.
    By the way, we just celebrated my son’s wedding three days ago. Job has been done and I feel so happy for him.
    Bon été, les amis,
    Fidèlement,
    Stanislas et Marie-Claude

July 26th, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Happy Anniversary!!!! :D Very cute post, wishing you many more! PS: Did you forget the TP? You did, didn’t you? That’s what husbands are for, right?

13. Tammy Says:
    July 27th, 2011 at 1:43 am

Happy Anniversary! Here’s to many more years to celebrate!!

July 27th, 2011 at 6:28 am

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words! As for the Calcutter — I think Katia may be on to something with the idea of fresh lemon juice; please let us know how it turns out!

July 27th, 2011 at 11:41 am

Happy Happy Anniversary! We have a copy of the same polaroid at home in Huntington Beach below our pottery display cabinet. And, you know how much I love spicy peppers … can’t wait to start my infusion. Can’t believe it’s been eight years!!!

16. Ory Says:
    July 30th, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Duder! I love this picture! And miss you guys! I know Taipei was nothing to be too excited about but Hong Kong, come on!

Happy belated anniversary!

17. Ann in SF Says:
    July 31st, 2011 at 2:43 am

Happy anniversary. So nice to see pictures of you two, though I love the pictures of delicious food that usually accompany your blogs. I am very excited to try the cocktail. we are BIG fans of cocktail hour here!

August 4th, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Happy belated anniversary! We’re big fans of chili vodka around here, too. We use it in Bloody Marys for a little extra kick!

19. Jenny Beaumont Says:
    August 5th, 2011 at 10:27 am

Am belatedly reading this article and all these fab comments wishing there was a “like” button somewhere or everywhere :)

Congratulations on 8 years of marriage! Feel utterly charmed getting to know the two of you as of late (and your chili vodka!).

xx