A delicious week - Ann Mah | Ann Mah

A delicious week

By Ann | April 22, 2011

What a week, mes amis! In between our trip to Nice and sundry writing projects, I hunted for my byline in the newspaper and managed to sneak in a few delicious bites. Here they are in no particular order:

asperges

1. Asparagus — I’m not sure it’s really spring until I eat my first stalks. Luckily, the spears are currently shooting up like rockets. I like them best steamed and sprinkled with fleur de sel, olive oil and a dusting of Parmesan.

fraises gariguettes, photo from elfwing_m on flickr

2. Gariguettes strawberries — A few years ago, I didn’t understand the appeal. This year, I’ve come to appreciate their delicate, wild perfume. Are they expensive? Excruciatingly. But what’s a few extra centimes in the face of a few short weeks of berry perfection? Am I becoming too French? C’est possible.

tacos

3. Tostadas — Much has been written about Candelaria, a new taqueria in the 3e. The tostadas — filled with pork carnitas, chicken, or queso fresco — are good, but it’s the daily salsa that makes me weep with joy. On my first visit, it was a zingy blend of orange zest and habañeros. Yesterday’s version featured peanuts, oranges and chiles. My only quibble is the communal bowl it’s served in — I saw one guy dipping the bitten end of his taco right in, and I’m pretty sure the dirty look I sent his way didn’t deter him in the slightest. (I didn’t stick around to find out, though.)

millefeuille

4. Millefeuille au caramel — Is it delightful or dangerous that the pâtissier/chocolatier Jacques Genin is located right around the corner from Candelaria? His caramel millefeuille is a marvel in textures — crisp and creamy, with a deep, buttery browned sugar nuttiness.

avocados

5. Avocados on toast — Preferably with rough-crumbed country bread. It’s my favorite breakfast (or lunch). Surely, I’m not the only one… right?

What were your favorite bites of the week, mes amis? I’d love to hear!

Candelaria
52 rue Saintonge, 3e
tel: 01 42 74 41 28

Jacques Genin
133 rue de Turenne
tel: 01 45 77 29 01

Topics: A year in a French market: Spring, Uncategorized | 11 Comments »

11 Responses to “A delicious week”

April 22nd, 2011 at 9:37 am

Awesome post! I can’t help but splurge on strawberries either… it’s a summer pleasure! As for the communal dipping bowl, I hadn’t even thought of that when I went. gross. Also, their guac was decent but nothing exceptional. Could’ve used more flavor! Trying Maison Mère tonight, will report.

April 22nd, 2011 at 10:30 am

Agreed! The guacamole wasn’t made to order.

3. Nicola Smyth Says:
    April 22nd, 2011 at 10:40 am

Now, I am really hungry…..thanks for sharing.

April 22nd, 2011 at 4:12 pm

OMG – I can almost smell those strawberries through the screen! And the millefeuille is so speaking to my sweet tooth.

I think my favorite dishes this week are still to come, on Sunday. :)

April 23rd, 2011 at 9:38 am

Double dipping is very uncool. We witnessed it at our new favorite falafel place a couple of weekends ago (it’s called Moaz, I think, and it’s a chain — this one’s on rue Saint-André des Arts). A diner brought his half-eaten falafel sandwich to the condiment bar and started dolloping on the pickled veggies and hot sauce with the communal spoon … which regularly touched the teeth marks in the pita. G-R-O-S-S.

April 23rd, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Had a delicious meal in my new neighborhood at Le Restaurant du Marché. I started with asparagus in a delicious herb sauce. So excited about the arrival of Spring produce!

7. Rachel Says:
    April 23rd, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I LOVE avocado on toast, my grandmother used to give it to me for breakfast, avocados straight from her tree. Lots of salt, pepper and lemon juice, yum.

8. Wendy Says:
    April 24th, 2011 at 5:43 am

hi there! Found your blog as I was looking up recipes and found your post on Joe’s Noodle House. This is down the street from me. There’s tons of great Chinese around here. Too bad you’re not in town. Too bad for me I guess – great for you since you have some great eats in France!

9. Sweet Freak Says:
    April 24th, 2011 at 9:16 am

Miam. I am dying for some spring asparagus and berries sound so lovely too. (Unlike the rest of the world, I can take or leave Mexican but agree, avocado toast is one of the best unsung snacks!)

Bravo on the NYT piece & have a delicious Easter, Ann! xo

April 26th, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Nicola — I constantly have a kind of low-lying hunger. Thanks for reading!

V de V — Hope you had a lovely celebration on Sunday!

CK — But chili kills bacteria, right?

Camille — Me too! I can’t get enough asparagus. So excited about your new apartment and neighborhood!

Rachel — Homegrown avocados are the best. I just ate one from a friend’s tree and it had an amazing bacony flavor. What a lucky grandkid you were!

Wendy — Have a bowl of dandan mian for me!

Sweet Freak — Thanks, chérie. Hope you’re getting your fill of spring produce this week!

May 9th, 2011 at 6:21 am

One note on strawberries: I heard on the radio this morning that they are 15 percent more expensive this year than last here in France …

Comments