Flower therapy - Ann Mah | Ann Mah

Flower therapy

By Ann | March 15, 2011

wilting tulips

Aren’t these flowers pretty? My friend, Janet Skeslien Charles, gave them to me because she knows I love tulips. Sadly, after only a day, a couple of the stalks started to droop.

tulip bath

Luckily, I know a flower trick that I learned from my dad. Fill a basin (or the sink) with cold water and submerge your stems. Allow them to bathe and rehydrate for a half hour or so.

tulips revived

Et, voila! The tulips emerged from their tub revived and they lasted for another week.

Do you have any tips to make cut flowers last longer, mes amis?

Topics: Uncategorized | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Flower therapy”

March 15th, 2011 at 10:23 am

I’m impressed! I have to keep this post handy next time I’m offered flowers but that could be awhile….

2. Betty Says:
    March 15th, 2011 at 11:31 am

Lovely flowers. Thank you to you & your Dad for the helpful hint.

3. Cheryl in STL Says:
    March 15th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I love tulips, too—-but never knew this trick! Thanks to you and to your dad for the advice! I’ll be buying some this week—we had snow here yesterday and I need some spring!

4. Danee Gilmartin Says:
    March 15th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

That’s a great tip but I kind-of actually like when they all droop around a tall vase.

5. shawn Says:
    March 15th, 2011 at 8:10 pm

An aspirin or some 7Up in the water helps. The stems should be cut and the water changed every few days. Tulips are (I think) the only flower that continues to grow after they are cut and cutting frequently helps them take up more water.

March 15th, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Lovely tulips! I knew that trick, but it’s great to see others use it too. Usually cutting the bottoms every day at an angle (the more stem surface available to slurp water the better) and changing the water allows them to last for quite a while.

Enjoy your wonderful spring harbinger.

March 17th, 2011 at 7:20 am

I always think of Holland when I think of tulips. These were a nice addition to our living room for several days!

8. parisbreakfast Says:
    March 20th, 2011 at 6:28 am

This is a wonderful trick!
    I can’t wait to try it.
    I knew you must recut the stems everday preferably underwater according to ‘In Praise Of Shadows’ (or they cry out)

9. KathrynTravels Says:
    April 20th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Oh yes! I have another tip too – put an American penny coin in the bottom of the vase before you put the water in. Not sure why or how (or why centimes don’t have the same effect?) but it will keep the stems standing straight as soldiers for a REALLY long time. This only really works for tulips as far as I know but maybe I should test it on some other flowers soon….

Good luck. :)